The Kegelmaster really is very simple to use. The most important thing is committing to 15 minutes a day of “me time”. A good idea is to set aside a particular time of the day in which to use your Kegelmaster, i.e. in the evening when the children are in bed or during the day when bubs is having a nap.
“I wait until both my children are asleep, I then arm myself with the Kegelmaster, lubricant, hand towel and a blanket so I can get all cozy. I then use the Kegelmaster while lying on the sofa watching one of my favourite TV programmes. It only takes 15 minutes to do my 3 sets of 30. Before the next ad break I’m usually finished!”
PLEASE WATCH THE INSTRUCTIONAL DVD PROVIDED WITH YOUR KEGELMASTER BEFORE USE.
Easy Steps to Using The Kegelmaster:
1. Ensure you have an empty bladder.
2. Handwash the unit with soap and warm water before and after using. The adjustable knob and springs are made of surgical grade stainless steel and will not rust or corrode.
3. Take the Kegelmaster, lubricant and a hand towel and find somewhere comfy and private to lie down, i.e. sofa or bed.
4. Completely open the unit and place one of the springs provided onto post 1. This is the easiest setting and a good one to start off with. See diagram. (Post 1 is the post closest to the hinge). Ensure the spring is fitted completely over the post. Then place the other end of the spring onto the corresponding post in the other half of the unit, i.e. the spring should then be fitting comfortably over both posts ensuring both ends reach the base of each post.
5. Close the Kegelmaster with your hand and screw the knob all the way to the bottom. Do not over-tighten otherwise it will be a little difficult to unscrew once the unit is inserted. The unit should now be completely closed.
6. Lay down on your back with your head resting on a pillow or two. Bend your knees, keeping your feet flat, about two feet apart. Ensure your back is straight and stretched out. Half-sitting positions can be very uncomfortable and are not a good idea when using the Kegelmaster.
7. Lubricate the vaginal area and the “head” of the unit with a water-soluble lubricant.
8. Gently ease the unit, knob facing upwards, into your vaginal opening until it is firmly locked in place. You will know when the unit is locked in place as it will literally feel a lot smaller – almost undetectable, as is the case with a tampon once that is properly positioned. The Kegelmaster is only inserted approximately three inches (from the tip to the flare). You cannot over insert the unit as it is designed to stop automatically at the flare.
9. Open the Kegelmaster by unscrewing the knob (anticlockwise) until you feel pressure or you feel a slight stretch of the vaginal muscles. This discomfort is your muscles being put under tension so that the contraction exercise can proceed.
If the knob is almost completely unscrewed and you don’t feel pressure against the vaginal muscles or the unit is not opening, then you will have to move the spring forward to a stronger position (post 2). If you still do not feel enough pressure against the vaginal muscles or the unit is not opening, you may have to keep moving the spring to post 3 or 4, or even start with two springs. Every woman is different. Use the setting that is best for you. But please remember that there must be sufficient pressure against the vaginal muscles. (Please don’t be alarmed at the unit stretching the vaginal muscles, this will not loosen or stretch you out! This is the ever-important resistance needed to effectively perform the Kegel exercise). In our experience most women (even women whose muscles are badly atrophied) will find that using a single spring on the first post will not provide enough resistant and the Kegelmaster will not open. In this instance the spring must be moved to post 2.
10. When you can feel adequate resistance against the vaginal muscles you are ready to start your exercise programme. To do so, use your vaginal muscles to squeeze the Kegelmaster closed. Focus on closing the Kegelmaster using only your vaginal muscles (it is important you avoid using your abdominal, inner thigh or buttock muscles). If you’re getting movement, you are on the right setting and you’re exercising properly. If you cannot move the Kegelmaster whatsoever, move the spring to a lower setting, i.e. from post 3 to post 2. The idea is to get as much movement from the unit as possible. If you are using too many springs, it will be too difficult for you to attempt closure.
A small percentage of women initially have the instinct to do an abdominal push, this is not a Kegel contraction, but an improper movement which can cause the unit to slip out; hold the unit in place with your hand until you are able to do a proper Kegel contraction. (Remember to squeeze not push). If you are unsure if you are using the correct muscles you can check prior to using the unit by placing a finger in your vagina and trying to squeeze around it. When you are feeling pressure (any whatsoever) you are using the correct muscles.
11. With each squeeze you attempt complete closure of the Kegelmaster pausing between each set. When this becomes relatively easy, it is time to move the spring onto the next post or add another spring. You do not have to close the unit completely at first; as long as you are getting some movement you will be sufficiently exercising your pelvic floor muscles. The stronger your muscles become, the more you will be able to close the unit
Important: It is not imperative to close the unit completely before moving onto the next post. If you have sufficiently strengthened your muscles and your current setting appears ‘easy’ and you feel you are ready to move the spring to a stronger setting, then do so!
The daily exercise routine starts with 3 sets of 30 closings, pausing between each set for 15 seconds. It is recommended that you work up to 6 sets of 30 closings a minimum of 3 times a week. If you choose, you may do as many sets and closures that you feel comfortable with. Your goal is to fatigue the muscle until there is very little movement left.
12. To remove the unit at the end of the exercise session, simply screw the knob down (clockwise rotation) until the unit is completely closed. Hold the unit and gently twist (rotate) from side-to-side. Slowly pull straight back until unit is removed.
A helpful hint when removing the unit. TOTALLY RELAX all the muscles you have just exercised. Sometimes after a really good ‘session’ the vagina can feel very tight and the unit can be a little hard to remove.
13. Remember to wash the unit after use.
WE RECOMMEND WHEN STARTING YOUR INITIAL EXERCISE PROGRAMME YOU MAKE A CONCERTED EFFORT TO USE THE KEGELMASTER EVERY DAY!!
You will not see the quick results you deserve if the unit sits in the bedside drawer! Daily usage of your Kegelmaster is needed until you have gained the level of strength you are happy with. Once you have achieved this, you can cut back your frequency to 2 or 3 times a week. And remember that with any muscle in the body, if you don’t use it, you will lose it! All muscles will atrophy (get weak, soft and lose tone) without exercise. Make the Kegelmaster an important part of your fitness routine for the rest of your life!!
Pregnant women should consult their physician prior to use.
During the six-week postpartum period after the birth of a baby, or for a minimum of six weeks after genitourinary or pelvic surgical procedures, the Kegelmaster should not be used unless specifically recommended by your physician.
Do not use at the same time as other intravaginal devices such as tampons, diaphragms, pessaries.
Women with urinary tract infections should avoid using the Kegelmaster.
Please open the Kegelmaster slowly when it contains springs. Opening the Kegelmaster too quickly can cause the springs to pop out erratically.
Please take care not to damage the hinge when disassembling the Kegelmaster for washing. This is the most delicate part of the Kegelmaster and overly vigorous handling may lead to breakage.
The Kegelmaster is designed not to pinch any skin, however in the case of a prolapse, extra care should be taken when removing the Kegelmaster to ensure no tissue is caught.